Dr Liza Forbes specialises in mineral flotation, with specific focus on flotation reagent chemistry, mineral surface chemistry and base-metal sulphide electrochemistry. Her main interest lies in integrating fundamental and applied aspects of flotation research, to develop new and improved processing technologies.
Education and Work
Liza graduated with a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cape Town in 2007. Since then, she has worked at the N.B.Keevil Mining Institute, University of British Columbia; the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Melbourne; and CSIRO Mineral Resources.
Liza has previously worked at a metallurgist at the Bafokeng Rasimone Platinum Mine, Anglo Platinum in South Africa. She has since been involved with a number of industry research projects with companies such as Kennecott Copper Co, Zijin Mining, Newmont, Newcrest, Sytec Technology Solutions and Anglo Coal.
Number of total citations (as of July 2019) 507
Book chapters 2
Peer review journal articles 27
Conference papers 20
1. Forbes, E. & Chryss, A. 2017. Fundamentals of clays surface and colloid science, and rheology. In: Mcfarlane, A. J., Klauber, C., Robinson, D. J. & Gräfe, M. (eds.) Clays in the minerals processing value chain. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
2. Forbes, E., Ma, M. & Bruckard, W. 2017. Clay minerals in flotation and comminution operations. In: Mcfarlane, A. J., Klauber, C., Robinson, D. J. & Gräfe, M. (eds.) Clays in the minerals processing value chain. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
3. Ng, W. S., G. V. Franks, E. Forbes, L. A. Connal and H. Yotsumoto, 2020. Flotation. Powder Technology Handbook. K. Higashitani, H. Makino and S. Matsusaka. Boca Raton, CRC Press.
1. Forbes, E., Runge, K., Plint, N., Collaborative Research on Coarse Particle Processing, Procemin Geomet 19, 2019, Santiago, Chile (in Review)
2. Forbes E. F., Smith L., Vepsalainen M. Effect of pyrite type on the electrochemistry of chalcopyrite/pyrite interactions. Physicochemical Problems of Mineral Processing. 2018;54(4):1116-1129.
3. Ng, W. S., Forbes, E., Franks, G. V. & Connal, L. A. 2016b. Xanthate-functional temperature-responsive polymers: Effect on lower critical solution temperature behavior and affinity toward sulfide surfaces. Langmuir, 32(30), 7443-7451.
4. Jeldres, R. I., Forbes, L. & Cisternas, L. A. 2016. Effect of seawater on sulfide ore flotation: A review. Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 1-16.`
5. Ndlovu, B, Farrokhpay, S., Forbes, E., Bradshaw, D.J., Significance of crystallinity in determining colloidal and mineralogical behavior of kaolinite clays, Powder Technology, 2015, 269, pp. 505-512
6. Ng W.S., Sonsie, R., Forbes, E., Franks, G.V. Flocculation/flotation of hematite fines with anionic temperature-responsive polymer acting as a selective flocculant and collector. Minerals Engineering. 2015, 77(0), pp. 64-71
7. Forbes E., Smith L., Davey K., Decoupling rheology and slime coatings effect on the natural flotability of chalcopyrite in a clay-rich flotation pulp. Minerals Engineering. 2014; 56: 196 – 144
8. Ndlovu B, Becker M, Forbes E, Deglon D, Franzidis J-P. The influence of phyllosilicate mineralogy on the rheology of mineral slurries. Minerals Engineering. 2011; 24(12): 1314-22.
9. Ndlovu BN, Forbes E, Becker M, Deglon DA, Franzidis JP, Laskowski JS. The effects of chrysotile mineralogical properties on the rheology of chrysotile suspensions. Minerals Engineering. 2011; 24(9): 1004-9
10. Forbes E. Shear, Selective and Temperature Responsive Flocculation: A Comparison of Fine Particle Flotation Techniques. International Journal of Mineral Processing. 2011; 99: 1 – 10
11. Burdukova E, Ishida N, Shaddick T, Franks GV. The Size of Particle Aggregates Produced by Flocculation in the Presence of PNIPAM, as a Function of Temperature. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2011; 345: 82-8.
12. Burdukova E, Li H, Ishida N, O'Shea JP, Franks GV. Temperature Controlled Surface Hydrophobicity and Interaction Forces Induced by Poly (N-Isopropylacrylamide). Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2010; 342: 586–92.
13. Burdukova E, Li H, Bradshaw DJ, Franks GV. The Functionality of Poly (N-Isopropylacrylamide) (PNIPAM) as a Flotation Collector: Effect of Temperature and Molecular Weight. Minerals Engineering. 2010; 23: 921 - 7.
14. Burdukova E, Laskowski JS. Effect of Insoluble Amine on Bubble Surfaces on Particle-Bubble Attachment in Potash Flotation. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2009; 89: 441 - 7.
15. Burdukova E, Becker M, Bradshaw DJ, Laskowski JS. The presence of negative charge on the basal planes of New York talc. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2007; 315: 337 – 42.
(2019) Anglo Coal (Mornabah North Managment)
(2019) Anglo Coal (Mornabah North Managment)